Monday, September 08, 2008

The Movie Critic.

This week, I shoveled snow. When I say “this week” I mean literally…this entire week.
My city keeps getting hammered, and I've loved every second of it.

One of the reasons I enjoy working from home is because every day (at some point), I get out for an hour or two for some exercise and fresh air. Usually in the form of a long walk.
Rain, sleet, snow, heat and humidity, I don’t care. I dress for the weather.
To me, going outside to shovel snow for a few hours is better than going to a gym.
So, I worked out all week.

Now, you’re asking where this is going?

After 4 hours of fresh air and strenuous exercise one day, I didn’t really feel like doing much afterwards. I decided it was a perfect night to laze with a movie.
I walked out to my local video store and asked the kid (when I say kid, I mean 23 years old) behind the counter to suggest something.

Being in advertising, I pay attention to (a movie’s) art direction. I enjoy great writing and brilliant cinematography. If it gets me thinking, I’m all for it. I don’t want fluff or something adapted from a crappy TV show. I’m not looking for a movie most of the time, I’m looking for a film.

Back to the kid behind the counter.
His suggestion sucked large.
Yes, “The Matrix” was awesome. “Fight Club” is in my top 5.
But that 23 year old behind the counter may not relate to you…the artsy ad creative.
He’s generally not going to know about something a little bit older, that has great art direction, Oscar worthy performances, one of the first “Sixth Sense” style endings and metaphors galore throughout. A movie that will stick in your head as you ponder it. One that you’ll have to watch over and over again just to catch things you missed the first 4 or 5 times around.

Because of this, I take it upon myself to suggest such a movie to you.

Fellow deep thinkers…
On your next movie night, rent the 1990 film “Jacob’s Ladder” starring (academy award winner) Tim Robbins.

Pay attention, and I mean to EVERYTHING.
Every detail. Every sentence. The wallpaper.
Even the name.

Until next time, keep dreaming.

No comments: