Monday, September 08, 2008

Graduating Rejects.

It’s almost the end of the school year and once again, dozens of kids without a clue are emailing and calling me looking for work. I can’t believe some of the phonecalls I receive. Today I answered the phone to the worst display of phone etiquette I have ever experienced. It went like this...

“You have any positions available?”

Me: That depends, what are you looking for?

“Production assistant, layout, art director, copywriter, designer, whatever”

Me: Ummmm.....you’re calling a freelancer.

CLICK.

What the fuck?
What academy of social misfits did this reject just graduate from?
First of all, how about a “hello”. If no hello, at least try to throw me a pleasant sounding voice instead of the gruff bark I answered to instead.
Do I have any positions available? Yes, you can come over and clean my fridge. I have some snow that needs shovelling. Go get me a friggin coffee. Never once did he ask who I was, where I was, or if he even had the right number.
What amazed me even more was the fact that he had no biases on what he was looking for. Production assistant to copywriter? Wouldn’t that be like calling up the Board of Education and telling them you’d like to clean the gym and if the vice-principal position is available, that’s good too?
How about the courtesy of a simple thank you and goodbye?
I shook my head in disbelief and shrugged it off.
Another call. Another day closer to the graduation of the class of 2007.
Another day closer to that guy wondering why nobody was willing to give him a chance.

No comments: